D1999 is a dental code for “unspecified preventive procedure – by report” (as per ADA). It is used to document and report the use and cost of additional personal protective equipment (PPE).
Dentists should develop following requirements for billing and documentation:
- A standard office policy to document the additional PPE is to be used for all patients.
- A documentation methodology to justify a standard fee for all patients.
- Addition of a note to the patient’s record to document the details of PPE, used for the visit while charging different fees based on the type of additional PPE used.
- A narrative to be added to all CDT codes that include “by report” in the nomenclature.
- The word limit for the narrative should be up to 80 characters when entered in the remarks section of the 2019 ADA Dental Claim Form.
- D1999 should be reported on a per-visit/claim basis in an attempt to cover the cost of PPE.
This code has been drafted keeping in mind the safety of patients, dentists and dental team members, who have always been the American Dental Association’s (ADA) utmost concern.
Note: This is concerned with the interim guidance of dental practices recently released by the American Dental Association (ADA) regarding the use of COVID-19-related Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) as outlined by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).